NRA Voice of Freedom
Choose among communications, media and grassroots advocacy
activities. These efforts are detailed below.
NRA's Institute for Legislative Action
The Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) is NRA's legislative, electoral and political arm. Established in 1975, it is the most effective defender of the Second Amendment for law-abiding Americans. We unite and motivate more than 5 million NRA members to support NRA-endorsed candidates - which is why the ILA has been named as America's most powerful lobbying group.
NRA-ILA fights battles every day on issues such as:
- The right to self-defense by promoting Right-to-Carry reform and expansion, working for the passage of Castle Doctrine laws and prohibiting the seizure of legally owned firearms during times of disaster.
- Protecting our hunting heritage by promoting policies such as No-Net-Loss, as well as fighting against radical groups like PETA and HSUS who want to see all hunting banned.
- Safeguarding the constitutional Right to Keep and Bear Arms in court cases, such as the landmark Heller v. D.C. and McDonald v. Chicago.
- Opposing the efforts of anti-gun politicians trying to impose federal restrictions on gun shows, as well as collecting and keeping information on gun purchases.
- Continually advancing pro-gun legislation - including the expansion of Right-to-Carry in national parks or creating nationwide reciprocity.
- Fighting pointless restrictions proposed by politicians infringing on law-abiding Americans' Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
Gifts to NRA-ILA are not tax
deductible as charitable contributions for Federal Income Tax
NRA Freedom Action Foundation
Millions of individuals follow and promote NRA's issues, but far too many never make it to the ballot box to cast their votes. The NRA Freedom Action Foundation's mission is to identify these potential voters through rigorous research, then reach out to them concerning the importance of exercising precious voting rights - a freedom secured and won through great sacrifice. The NRA Freedom Action Foundation is dedicated to providing non-partisan Second Amendment education to all American citizens. With a distinguished history of building one of the strongest non-partisan grassroots mobilization programs, the NRA can expand far beyond its membership to reach other freedom-loving Americans, regardless of party affiliation or political orientation.
The Freedom Action Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization.
NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund
The Civil Rights Defense Fund (CRDF) is the powerful sister organization of the NRA. It resolutely supports the Second Amendment by speaking out on any litigation involving significant legal issues relating to the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. The NRA-CRDF fights battles across the country daily, on state and federal levels, to protect every citizen's Second Amendment rights.
The NRA-CRDF is a 501(c)(3) organization.
NRA's Media Outreach Activities
NRA Media Outreach targets strategic audiences to energize and activate the grassroots power of the public on Second Amendment issues. It utilizes an array of media vehicles and avenues for the most efficient and effective results. We broadcast NRA News via the Sirius satellite networks and the Internet, and also engage targeted newspapers and magazines. We use paid media for message placement in major publications, online and broadcast outlets, and utilize earned media for opportunities to engage opponents of the Second Amendment on television and radio. Finally, Media Outreach employs television programming, infomercials and news magazines to encourage viewers to take on specific issue-related topics.
Gifts to this program may be deductible as charitable contributions for Federal Income Tax purposes; contact us for more information.